Mothers Day hatch *hatching updates*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, May 3, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    This is my second hatch.
    First hatch was 30%, I now believe I was having humidity issues.
    I have a hova 1588, auto turner and new digital hygrometer (didn't have that last time)
    Started with 30 big beautiful eggs from a fellow BYCer.
    candled and removed three definate infertiles on day 7, one was scramble, one a double yolker and one just nothing I believe that gives him a 96.5% fertility rate (?)
    day 11 candeling showed slightly smaller than expected air cells, I believe this was from my slightly higher than should be humidity (next time i will have a scale).
    I have adjusted humdity down and at day 14 candling all looks well. Air cells may still be slightly small . . . we will see, hopefully this will reapair itself in the next week.
    I think most of the 27 eggs are good, but hard to tell in some that have really thick nonporous shells. I see veigning(sp?) in all and movement in almost all.
    I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO A REALLY EXCITING MOTHERS DAY!!!!
    Who else?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    no one?

3. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Yes i am, I didnt realize it was going to be a mothers day hatch till earlier today though. 12 assorted bantam (mystery) eggs, and 12 whites silkie eggs all from a swap. Testing out my new incubator. [​IMG]
    What have you got in there?

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Im some what expecting a mother's day hatch. I have 2 unexpected clutches to hatch this week and the next [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:i have 27 gorgeous Buckeye eggs from a wonderfully generous BYCer. Did you candle yours at all? and what type of new incubator do you have?

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'll join the group! [​IMG] I'm helping Headstart hatch some chicks and they are due next Wed. Not Mother's Day but close enough! LOL I got our eggs from "threeboyschicks" here on BYC and I started with 12. Just candled the other day and 2 orp eggs were infertile. Now, we have 3 silkie eggs, 2 bantam cochin eggs, 1 blrw egg, 1 ameracauna egg, 1 buff orp egg and 2 leghorn X sexlink eggs. All seem to be developing well. I'm using an old LG I used to use and I'm using a hydrometer for the first time. I read all kinds of opinions on what to keep the humidity at and I decided to keep it in the 40's until day 18. One university website said to keep it between 50 and 60 but I was afraid to keep it that high until the end when I will shoot for 65%. I hope all of our eggies AND YOURS hatch!!! [​IMG]

7. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Katy, I had a great hatch this past weekend, and am watching your thread with my fingers crossed. I know you'll do great! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My hatch will be a day or two after Mother's Day most likely, but close enough. This is our first time incubating, so we're hoping for good results![​IMG]

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Congratulations on you good hatch . . . please post a pic on this thread to get the rest of us through this last week with good vibes!!!

10. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Your wish is my command.
    Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    This was mid-hatch, so I got several more after this. They are 2 buff orps and two styles of Wheaton Marans (clean legged and feathered legged).

Here's some of the Wheaton marans.... love 'em!
    [​IMG]

Happy Hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by