Mothers Day Lavender Orp. Eggs!! Questions on turning shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 10, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'm so tickled! I got some lavender orp. project eggs that my hubby arranged for me to have today!! I had been saving a little to get the next batch hinkjc puts out but now I have some...I'm still shocked LOL I would've never guessed!

This is my first shipped eggs. I've only hatched out one batch so far.

I candled a min. ago to see air cells. I can't tell. I think I may have seen some....IDK...

Just in case some air cells were detached (although she shipped them very well and they seemed to be perfect) should I NOT turn them for a few days at first? Or go ahead and do the turning twice a day like I normally did on the first??

Thanks for any help.

2. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Hey just wanted to say I am sort of a neighbor to you live in MS here and I now have my second batch of hinkjc's Lavender Orpingtons project eggs in the bator and the first batch I got 11 chicks out of 16 eggs 9 Lavender and 2 Black, The second batch I just candled a couple of nights ago and every egg is developing. All I did when they arrived was let them sit overnight and then put them in the incubator and treated them as I would one of my eggs that I gathered from my own hens, turning the eggs right from the start.

Hope you have a great hatch and a what a great Mothers day gift.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    OK....I saw where folks say they have waited 6 days to start turning so I was curious.

4. jmhappycowboy

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    I know some do wait before starting to turn but I just let my eggs rest overnight and put them right in there and let them go. But now I do have a large cabinet incubator I don't have to hand turn mine. But even if I had a Styro Bator I would still turn the eggs immediately but thats just me, I hope you have a great hatch from your eggs.

If your eggs from hinkjc's are like mine when they start hatching they will come out of those eggs like popcorn. Those lil Lavenders don't waste any time when they start hatching and my first batch is growing really fast also. I know you will really enjoy them.

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    If I can get them to hatch they will be living in the house!! [​IMG]

I can't wait. These are going to be a looong 21 days!

They got here Friday he said so I went ahead and stuck them in the bator. I already had 12 other eggs in there but I do now have a second bator to 'hatch' them in.

They are from hinkjc because the shipping box has their name on it. I'm not sure if they know it's me that got some. He contacted her thru an auction she had going and then got her email addy and did it from there. I will have to thank her for letting him talk her into it [​IMG]

6. jmhappycowboy

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Well not to be mean but I will give ya a sneak peak at what to be looking for in 21 days. LOL Here are a few of the first batch that I hatched from her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    That pic is going to make the 21 days even longer [​IMG]

LOL

Just send them little babies to me! They are too cute!

I can't wait to hatch some out.

8. jmhappycowboy

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    LOL, i'm sorry I guess I shouldn't have showed you the pic. But thats what I went through for the first 21 days. Seeing all the pics on BYC of the Lavender chicks and knowing I had some in the incubator .

Now it was my time to torture.. [​IMG]

But I to am waiting on the second batch although I don't have but 7 more days to go not 21. [​IMG]

9. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    I want some, they are so cute....I think that I am going to have to get some soon

10. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    My 8 orps eggs are buff not lavender, but they too are from Hinkjc, and I put them in the 'bator Friday morning also, so am on the same hatch schedule...

So I figured that's enough in common to pop into this thread & say HI [​IMG] !!

Buff Orpingtons from Hinkjc were big on my "wish list" so am very excited, too....

Oh, I also have 2 RIR eggs in there that, in a moment of insanity, I pulled out of the fridge & tossed in as well.... [​IMG] But that's a whole 'nother thread [​IMG]

Good luck!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by