Motion lights outside duck coop, good idea or bad?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I am thinking of putting motion sensor lights on the coop, they are inside 500+ feet of 4’ electronet which has so far done a great job, I regularly set traps for racoon and possum, and whatever else i can catch but haven’t caught much recently. I get home after dark now, all the ducks are inside waiting to be put to bed, but i worry about fox or anything that can jump the fence if highly motivated enough, wondering if lights would deter or just illuminate their dinner?

Years ago I tried motion light and here the predators got used to them and would set them off and not seem to be bothered with them. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and good heavy duty netting covering my pens for aerial predator and concrete under the gates. I see predators most nights on my cameras when they roam here but they respect the hot wires. Good luck...

Coyotes can jump. My fences are 5' tall and a coyote years ago went over one of my fences. It also went back out as some of the birds went out over the fence. I lost some birds that day.

I have motion lights, not for predators, just us humans. I watched the fox walk right up, activate the light, and stand there surveying. It ran off, but the light didn't deter it.

Back
Top Bottom