motion sensor lighting

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ga_goat, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have had a serious preditor problem here , and will probably always will have. My problem is the land behind mine , it is undeveloped land and is too low to be much else and there is 1200 acres of it , 3 of them are mine have 8 good hi & dry and 3 swamp .
    I was unable to keep up with the critters with my 3 walk in traps , so I went to a local electrical contractor that I know and got some scrap conduint , put it up around the edge of all 5 of my pens and put a motion sensor fixture at the corners 5 of them , when the critters get near enough the light comes on and they run off . Some will get used to it but now the walkin traps can keep up with those who do .

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    They'll get used to the lights coming on if no consequences ensue really quick! Plus, that only woks with night time predators! Try fencing in your pens with electric fencing, fairly cheap and VERY effective!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think like thomas edision electricity can do so many things for you. Lights do not scare animals unless they've never seen one. Shock them.

4. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    You could try hooking up a strobe light to the motion sensors, that would probably keep them away, just a thought.

5. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I guess I forgot the 3 strands of electric fence already there and they still get in , biggest problem are 2 trees each in the 2 of the pens and they are locked to trees outside the pens , hate to loose shade but guess I need to cut the locked ones at the fence line maby that would do more good than lights . The 3 I would have to cut are only about 20 ft tall , oh well the goats will eat good for a couple of days .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by