Motley crew- and their chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WallyBetsBob, Aug 13, 2013.

1. WallyBetsBob

WallyBetsBob New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Hi there, I have a selection of chickens and I would like to know their breed. Apart from the Buff Orpingtons, which I had already, they were all rescued from an abandoned chicken coup on an allotment- when I found them they were skin and bones living off the corpse of the first to starve. Nice, eh? The chicks are all Buff Orpington cross (or poss. pure buff orp!). Any suggestions about the breeds? Sadly none of the Pekin Bantums or black/white Wyandotte Wantums survived, despite ludicrous amounts of care. They are starting to moult, hence the rather scruffy look...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

1 person likes this.
  3. WallyBetsBob

WallyBetsBob New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Ooh, that was quick! Thank you! The one you have labelled 'barred mix' is the same as the 'mum' of the three chicks- she doesn't have any feathers on her legs, no. The last pic is of a chick, hatched 18 June, which I think is a cross between a Buff Orp (the cockerel- that part is guaranteed!) and the fourth pic chicken. Any suggestions on the sex?

The person that originally bought the chickens was the sort to buy expensive, pure breeds, a very expensive coup, make it all look pretty, then lose interest.
    Off to look up 'red sex link' now. Should I turn 'safe search' on?!

Thanks again.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Red sex links are a cross of two chickens that when the chicks hatch you can sex them by the color of the chicks, just like black sex links. But this is a one time cross, you can't breed a red sex link hen to a red sex link rooster and get more red sex links. The two barred ones might be poorly marked cuckoo marans, but I don't think they are. Do they lay dark brown eggs? We would need a face shot of the chicks and a age of them to help you tell the gender on them.

5. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    There's a partridge wyandotte in there too. The one above the picture of the black one

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by