Motley Crew

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by motleycrewRus, Jun 15, 2016.

1. motleycrewRus

motleycrewRus Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    We are definitely a Motley Crew. Our hobby farm already had 3 Registered Paint Horses. We ended up rescuing 2 more: Paint and a Trakehner-both retired from competition and no longer used due to small injuries.
    We also rescued 5 Mini Horses.
    We also have 4 dogs and 2 cats. 2 Pet birds(Cockatiel and Sun Conure).
    On top of this, we decided to try our hand at raising chickens, ducks and Jumbo Guineas.
    We have several acres and do a combination of free roaming as well as building "Chicken Village and Duck Dynasty".
    We converted an old hay shelter into a divided shelter for the ducks and chickens complete with auto waterer for chickens, crate nesting boxes and roosting poles. We use PVC pipes for food feeders. And rigged up a water tap waterer for the chickens.

We put insulating panels and covered it completely in hardware cloth. We rigged up doors and soon will install an automatic door that lets them all in and out.
    We even have a critter cam to watch over. And we recently adopted a Great Pyreneese Puppy to be our livestock herder and guardian.
    My significant other is great with his hands and built a pallet garden for us, complete with chicken wire and electric fencing. No critters dared to come in this year!
    He also built a pallet horse shelter/barn for the Minis.

And he has built a pallet fence with a large area for them to play in with a converted trampoline and pool that our kids have outgrown. The trampoline is their run.
    They are a happy bunch. And we have raised them since days old chicks.
    We are new to chickens, ducks and guineas. Well, correction I am new to this. He used to raise everything but that was decade or so ago and he is teaching himself all over again.
    We have 12 chickens-
    4 Ameraucanas-including a surprise rooster. So far, at 3 months old, he is tame and has caused zero issues thus far. I hope he stays tame as I have spent a lot of time around them. Hand-feeding, holding and working around them.
    3 Australorps. 4 Jumbo Guinea Hens who are the tamest I have been around and have bonded so much with chickens that they don't roam too far.

2 Brown Leghorns who are supposed to be flighty but are my favorite and tamest. 1 is a trick chicken...jumps for treats and plays "Which hand is the treat in" and loves to play and interact.
    1 White Leghorn I name "Chicken Little" as it is the smallest and youngest. And friendly, too!
    2 Silver-Laced Wyandottes. Beautiful birds! A bit on the shy side.

That leaves us to the Ducks. We also have 12 that we have hand-raised since ducklings that were days old.
    5 Jumbo White Pekins. I had a question on how to definitively tell their sexes. Only 1 quacks loudly and the other 4 are quieter. None have drake feathers. None has tried to mount(possibly still too young). 2 have peach-colored bills and 3 have dark yellow. All but 1 are just huge. They are fed well and free roam as well.

We have 3 Blue Swedish. I think one is a drake and 2 others are ducks/hens.
    Beautiful markings.
    My personal faves are the Chocolate Indian Runners who have that lovely chocolate color and are comical. I believe they are all hens. They all get along famously and love pool time. And get along with the chickens although the ducks rule the world, there.
    Drive away the chickens from their favorite spots.
    I love farm life and huge animal love whether fur, feather or hair.
    I grew up in the suburbs of a fast-growing city and was thrilled to have the blessed into to country life and living. I don't even miss city life. Although it was a crazy transition. Two different worlds.
    We have a huge organic garden. And we repurpose and recycle materials. Feel we have creative solutions and ideas on our ever-growing family here.

Cheers to all and happy farming! It is hard, hard work but such gratifying rewards!
    And peace like I have never felt.

~Sharon

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome
    Sounds like you've got quite the farm!

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Really enjoyed your intro. Lots of projects to keep you jumping. Maybe you should call the place "Animal Farm."

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a wonderful farm! I am sure they keep you quite busy and bring you great joy.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Sharon

Glad you could join us here! I've really enjoyed reading your intro thread! It sure is all hard work but as you say so worth it. Wishing you the very best of luck with your farm in the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. motleycrewRus

motleycrewRus Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome and greetings. Finally, a place that understands farm life and offers help/advice/support and blessings. Wish everyone a successful year of raising and nurturing. Appreciate it!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] What a group of animals you have!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by