Motor Oil..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adubsroit, Nov 20, 2010.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    For the sake of this probably highly time sensitive issue.. What do I do if turkeys (namely turkeys) got into motor oil?? I'll have time for details after I have some idea of what I need to do because I'm freaking out right now!! Arghh.. May help to know they are Beltsville [Small] Whites and are 6 weeks old.

Oh dear.. Please someone help?! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ate it or bathed in it? They use soapy water to wash animals that get into salt water oil spills; don't see why you couldn't do this with a turkey. I'd guess that Dawn dishwashing soap would be the best choice.

3. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    While it is on their feathers, it was most definitely ingested. I do not know how much. Two of them seem to have it coming out their nostrils and I am estimating that said ingestion happened within the past 10-15 minutes. While all have the oil on them, its only the two who have any physical evidence of ingestion (e.g. beaks are blackened, face has oil on it, tongues are tinged black).

Google searches say that if a dog ingested it that you can administer olive oil, but that sounds difficult with young poults with no syringe. Someone suggested giving small pets (cats namely) milk, but no water.. I feel like an idiot right now.

4. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Motor oil has Benzene in it. Wikipedia explain Benzene:

The short term breathing of high levels of benzene can result in death, while low levels can cause drowsiness, dizziness, rapid heart rate, headaches, tremors, confusion, and unconsciousness. Eating or drinking foods containing high levels of benzene can cause vomiting, irritation of the stomach, dizziness, sleepiness, convulsions, and death.

Human exposure to benzene is a global health problem. Benzene targets liver, kidney, lung, heart and the brain and can cause DNA strand breaks, chromosomal damage etc. Benzene causes cancer in both animals and humans. Benzene was first reported to induce cancer in humans in the 1920s. The chemical industry claims it wasn't until 1979 that the cancer-inducing properties were determined "conclusively" in humans, despite many references to this fact in the medical literature. Industry exploited this "discrepancy" and tried to discredit animal studies which showed benzene caused cancer, saying that they weren't relevant to humans. Benzene has been shown to cause cancer in both sexes of multiple species of laboratory animals exposed via various routes.

Animal studies have shown low birth weights, delayed bone formation, and bone marrow damage when pregnant animals breathed benzene.

Benzene has been connected to a rare form of kidney cancer in two separate studies, one involving tank truck drivers, and the other involving seamen on tanker vessels, both carrying benzene-laden chemicals.

Anything from anyone out there?? I would rather much cull if need be then wait for the poults to go into convulsions and die suffering..​

5. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Suggestions?? Going to go ahead and clean off the birds. Luckily they aren't covered in it, but I really don't like the idea of how much it sounds like they could suffer.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would bathe and then decide. They may not have ingested much. Think of all the birds saved at those oil spills. You just have no way of knowing. When they're all clean you'll have a better idea.

7. Lil' Roo

Lil' Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    wash in Dawn soap and provide water and wait it out. No use culling birds that may be fine.

8. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, if they need olive oil, any luck with oats mixed with it? They may gobble (no pun intended) it down. But I'd give them lots of yummy food to see if you can just work that stuff out the other end. Good Luck! [​IMG]

9. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Lil' Roo :

wash in Dawn soap and provide water and wait it out. No use culling birds that may be fine.

By no means do I want to cull, I'm half chocked up right now at the thought of it. I need to just focus on the "being fine" thing. They're all okay now, getting bathed and everything. If anything they look more ticked that we're bathing them. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just be sure to dry them good before putting them back outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by