Mottled bantam cochins...difficult to incubate/hatch???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...I'm about to give up. I've had about 8 mottled bantam cochin eggs...maybe more...I've lost count...and I haven't been able to hatch any of them. They usually quit sometime between day 5 and day 16 or so. I've gotten them from 3 different breeders so I don't think inbreeding is the issue.

Is this a particularly difficult color of cochin to hatch? I have 2 gorgeous roos and 1 hen and would like to increase my flock. So far...no luck.

I've also had some difficulty with white. I've only been able to hatch one white so far. I do have one in the bator that is ok...so far...at day 9.

I can hatch gold laced, blues, black, frizzles, reds, buffs, silver penciled, etc...but NOT MOTTLED. Help!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I have never had a problem hatching Mottleds. I just hatched some for a friend a couple weeks back and one is a frizzle mottled. Are you getting the eggs from the same person? Where they shipped during a heat wave?

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You could try McMurray for chicks next year. I have seen some very nice mottled cochin bantams come from them. Also they have some nice whites. And they have some excellent frizzles. I heard through the grapevine that people have shown the cochins bantams they got from MM and won some prizes.

Also a silkie or two may come in handy [​IMG]

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    how about some info on your incubator or technique of hatching?might be helpful. my cochins are the easiest by far to hatch, except one batch and i know it was a problem w/ humidity not the eggs.

5. Hi!
    Mottled Cochins have never been difficult to hatch here.
    Interesting that MMcM mott Cochin chicks are looking good.
    Thanks,
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have gotten the eggs from 3 different breeders, so I don't think it's that. I can hatch partridge cochins out the wazoo!!

I only hatch cochins at this time...plus a few silkies...It's not the cochins...just the mottled and white.

If my luck doesn't turn around, I guess I'll order some from mcMurray. Thanks for the tip!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by