1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mottled cochin (commets please) =) Very pic heavy.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KKluckers, Dec 29, 2007.

1. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I have these two and half month old chicks I hatched from eggbid. Do you think they are show worthy? I know they are young, but they seem to have alot of white. Will that molt out? I want your HONEST opinion. I think that will help me decide what to do from here. I did buy some show stock from a gal locally and hope to hatch some of the trios chicks this spring. There feet are dirty from being out on the ground. [​IMG]
    First chick she really seem light blue:
    [​IMG]
    One of the black mottleds:
    [​IMG]
    Blue mottled chick
    [​IMG]
    this is the stock I bought from the gal locally. She did tell me her feathers were lose, but she would make a good breeder.

[​IMG]
    Rooster and hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Ohhhhhhhhhh Fluff Balls!
    I dont think there is to much white on the mottled. But then I am no expert and havent really looked into them much.
    Love the pictures!!

3. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    The black mottled is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! I think it'll be show quality but the blues I'm not sure about. [​IMG]

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    What is wrong with the blues? I do love my little black mottled hen she is a doll.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I LOVE that first one-if you don't want her send her to me!!

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I wonder if she might be a splash mottled? I've been doing some reading and it is possible. There is a show in March Im going to bring all seven of the chicks and see what happens. They should be more filled out by then. If anyone wants to tell me what they think before then, Im all ears. [​IMG]
    Im going to sell hatching eggs late spring. [​IMG]

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I might be interested in hatching eggs, depending on the price and if I find some before then [​IMG] Can you tell me where you got them? If you don't want to post, you can just send me a pm.

But seriously, just put her in a box and send her to me [​IMG]

Edited to add: Yes, she might be a splash mottled, I see some darker spots on the lighter background

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    My silver laced cochins change colour and markings a lot before they mature. They hatch black, and it takes a while for the white to appear on their feathers. I'd imagine mottled would probably be the same, and hard to tell at this age. I love your blue cochin, mine are darker than that.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Her feathers are supposed to be loose, she's a cochin [​IMG]

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I want mottled now lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by