Mottled Cochin Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SGM, Nov 10, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    This is my lone little Mottled Cochin. He's with a Silkie/EE cross pullet right now and they've been free ranging for several days now. I put them up at night but they're out roaming during the day in the backyard. These two have quickly become my favorite chickens! The pullet, I've named Ebony, is quite the character. She follows you everywhere and is so incredibly sweet. The rooster follows her everywhere.

I also have to add..... that watching this rooster run doubles me over. I mean, it doesn't matter how bad my day has been or what I'm doing, when he runs I have to stop and watch and it just cracks me up. He is so darn cute!!!!

I love cochins. Can you tell???

I need a name for this fellow. Please excuse his molt too. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Ebony...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to see what color eggs Ebony lays. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He's beautiful!
    I have a dark brahma roo that has a hard time running due to his heavy foot feathering. He's learned to hop like a rabbit when he wants to get somewhere fast, like to the treat bowl.
    My roos are Zeus and Thor. IMO, roos need big manly names. [​IMG]

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Umm... Forrest? Run, Forrest, ruuunnnnnnnnn!!!!

ETA - btw, my splash cochin roo is named Rudy (Rudolph Valantino) because he's such a big lover.

tee hee -
    meri

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  4. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    [​IMG] I really need to make a video of him running. I just absolutely love it. I just grin like a looney. I bet people hear me in the backyard laughing to myself and think I've lost it. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh you would have hurt yourself laughing if you saw what I saw yesterday.
    Thor and two hens were the only ones in the chicken yard when I went out with bread. Thor grabbed the last piece and tried to run off with it. I swear the hens were ready for it. One actually threw herself down in front of him as he was running away. He tripped of course. The bread fell out of his beak. The hen grabbed it and ran away.
    Never a video camera around when you need one! [​IMG]

6. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    WOW - He is a big Boy and oh so handsome. He definately needs a "manly" name!

I do love to watch them run. One of mine reminds me of something from Jurasic Park with the way she kind of run/ hops.

7. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    It kind of puts me in the mind of a short round man jogging in sweats. Hahaha

8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a EE pullet named Ebony. [​IMG] This is the first year I have bred EE/Silkies, so I'm also anxious to see what color egg they lay!

9. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I just love her little top knot. She's so exciting and funny. Quite the little character. I just love her to pieces! I thought about hatching some mutts from her crossed with the the mottled cochin rooster. Imagine those!!!

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Blaze
    Bud

And they are both beautiful, but he is really beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by