Mottled Duck With Swollen Neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbmorrison, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mbmorrison

mbmorrison New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Hi, I am very new to raising ducks and would really appreciate it if someone could please help me figure out what is going on with my sweet mottled duck, Pony. She has had this lump for two days now and I am starting to really worry. Below is a zoomed in picture of her throat. Please let me know if you have any ideas/experience/knowledge on what might be going on. I will greatly appreciate any information you can give me!

[​IMG]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have just asked somebody in the "Duck forum" to look at this post and offer you some help if they can....Amiga is wonderful at giving advice with ducks...

3. mbmorrison

mbmorrison New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How is her breathing?

She may have swallowed something that got stuck in her throat. I would take her to a vet.

Ducks can swallow all kinds of things - including metal objects, and that is very dangerous because they can get metal poisoning.

Is she tame enough for you to be able to get close and try to make out any more details?

Another thought that occurs to me is - was she recently grabbed by something with claws - that might cause an abscess? Ducks can get abscesses. The ones I have seen through this forum and others have been on the feet, but infections can happen just about anywhere.

If you can very gently get her into a lukewarm tub of water where you can watch her, check her out (without touching her neck), perhaps you can detect if there is a foul odor?

Be really careful - if she is not at all tame and might thrash her neck, I would just guide her into a dog carrier and get her to a vet.

5. mbmorrison

mbmorrison New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    You have no idea how helpful that is! I noticed she had a cut on her neck just under her beak around the same time I noticed her lump. It does not appear to be in the same spot as the scab, though, but that could definitely explain it. I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow but just wanted to make sure I am not worrying about nothing. Thanks again (from both me and Pony)!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please let us know how it goes!

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    x 2 ....Hope all goes well for you and Pony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by