1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mottled ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jededia, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Jededia

Jededia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    I live in Pakistan and a few months ago i purchased two ducklings from a bird shop that's at a walking distance from my house they grew up to be quite odd ducks. I mean we could,nt tell the male or female apart, freaked out i browsed the net for a duck breed fitting that description. turned out they resembled mottled dicks except for the fact that they have white bellies. is their any logical explanation?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Can you post a picture of them? It's possible they are mixed breed ducks and that's why they don't seem to fit the description of any specific breed. They sounds beautiful, though!

You should be able to tell their sex by their voices if they are a few months old. Females are more noisy and "quack", while the males are quieter and have a raspy, whisper-like voice.

3. Jededia

Nov 12, 2015
    yesterday the duck we thought was male suddenly just collapsed his legs were stretched all the way back and he couldn't straighten them out. we thought it was dying, so in a hurry we laid him down, straightened his legs making him do some form of leg exercise and rubbed its back.And gave it a mixture of turmeric and oil he wasn't drinking it but we used a syringe to give him the mix and we also used the syringe to force water down his throat and separated him from his partner by placing him in a box filled with hay. after that we all had a church meeting to attend, when we came back we were shocked to find him alive and well with an egg right under him , which he later ate on his own. strange fact about the egg was that it had a very soft shell. after that we gave him human calcium supplements also by the syringe........well now he seems to be doing fine he is walking, but he's still weak and he still needs to be kept away from his bright and energetic partner.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So he is a she.

5. Jededia

Nov 12, 2015
    I guess so

6. Jededia

Nov 12, 2015
    but now he or she has trouble standing on its own and its legs has gone completely weak any suggestions.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What are they eating? Sounds like insufficient calcium, possibly not enough protein. Nutritions may be the problem.

8. Jededia

Nov 12, 2015
    freakishly the other charged duck gave an egg its been five days they both are kept separate. Is that duck female too? because they do some sort of mating.

9. Jededia

Nov 12, 2015
    both of my ducks died all of a sudden. This morning I went to take them out for food but I found them both dead sorry I couldn't take any pictures it just didn't feel right

10. Jededia

Nov 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm posting a picture of my other duck she's called fefi I would like to know what breed is she her male died suffering from a cold so we purchased her 2 ducklings and so she managed to pull through. I'm posting a picture of her with her 2 kids can you please tell me what breed she and her ducklings are?. The golden one's Fefi and the other two are kids we purchased for her its difficult to know what breed they are because all the pet shop owners say that she is a murghabi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by