Mottled egg shells

mbleily

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
eggs.jpg
I have not been here for a while but what to hatch some replacement chickens. I gathered eggs and candled them and they all seem to be mottled. I am surprised they are because I thought that meant they are thin but they are not really easy to break when I fix something to eat. I had a hard time inserting the picture. It has been too long and things have changed. LOL Anyway, will they hatch ok? These are the only eggs I have. I am collecting until I get at least 30 because of the roo factor. Any suggestions?
These are the eggs
egg2.jpg

egg1.jpg

mbleily

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
The hens and roo are both fairly old. 5 years maybe. I was thinking about that. But is it possible to still get some to hatch?

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project manager
Premium member
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
The hens and roo are both fairly old. 5 years maybe. I was thinking about that. But is it possible to still get some to hatch?
It is a bit less likely because rooster fertility goes down. The best way to tell is to incubate them!

Happy Hatching!

mbleily

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
Well, I guess I will try then. They seem to be all fertile when I open them. There are only 9 hens for the roo. Thanks

mbleily

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I found someone on craigslist that is close to me that will let me have some of her very colorful eggs for $3.00 a doz. she just sells the eggs to eat but doesn't put them in the frig. and wont wash these. I can pick the colors. So much fun. I will still do mine with hers.
coloee.jpg

mbleily

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
Me too and I used to have them alot like that. But have slowly gotten down to the colors you see in the first picture. I want more colors!

Swampy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 31, 2014
The eggs are porous. They are fine to incubate.

This happens with some hens--Something to do with the egg shell gland
I sell my eggs for eating and I find a lot of them like this. I feed them back to the birds, do you think these would be okay to still sell? I don't because not sure how safe for eating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom