Mottled Houdan-prematurely bald! 12 wks old...HELP ME!! Pics Added!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjeanean, May 23, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I went outside tonight to close my coop up, and noticed that my mottled houdan roo has a large bald spot on the top of his head, sorta towards the back. The feathers are blood feathers, and have been broken in a few areas (like five or six feathers) and the rest are completely pulled out. Is one of my other chickens the culprit? This rooster is very skittish, always has been, and is the only chicken I have that I cannot pick up or feed by hand. He is also the only one out of my two roos who crows. My other roo, the barred rock, is a sweetie, very complacent and calm. I don't know who's doing this!!! Am I right to suspect one of my other chickens??? I'm also wondering about the neighbor boys.....

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I can't tell if it looks like another chicken did this or if someone pulled them out.

3. 1ElvisFan

1ElvisFan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    I'd almost think if it was a chicken doing it, there would be peck marks but I can't think of what else could have done that without doing further damage.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I talked to someone in the chat room and they said there's no way to get the other chickens to stop pulling feathers.....I've heard of blue kote, would that help???? I'd really like to see him have a full head of feathers.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have used Blue Kote and Pine Tar. Both were effective for me [​IMG]

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    That is definately another chicken doing it. I had the same problem and I removed the 2 chickens I found doing it and it cleared up and grew feathers back. They will keep picking until it is a bloody mess. Your best bet is to maybe have a separate cage for him and a girl or two. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by