Mottled Houdan's and Buttercups

nikkimay

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Pacific NW
I'm thinking of getting two new chicks, probably a barred rock (like the girl we lost)

But for the other i'm considering trying something new.... they place i'm thinking of going has a mottled houdan and a buttercup - neither of which i've ever met...

Does anyone have any experience with them? Any idea of their temperament?

I need girls that 'play well with others'

Thanks!

Here is the American Buttercup Club site:
http://www.geocities.com/americanbuttercupclub/

Our Buttercup pullet, Ellen, is very friendly and a great forager and reliable layer. She loves to explore the farm yard and tell me about the goodies she found at the end of the day. I think most birds will be friendlier if you take the time to hold and pet them every day.

Here are some pics of Ellen at 1 week, at 4 weeks of age and at 8 months.

Thanks - those pictures are great, you might have sold me! I always hand raise our girls, and they have always been very friendly, still sit in our lap and everything - i just wanted to make sure i didn't end up with a breed that was notoriously feisty!

Buttercups are great!! I have five that are NEVER going into the stewpot because of their habit of flying up on my back every chance they get. They love to do it when I'm in a hurry and in so doing, teach me to slow down a little! My Buttercups are the first-and so far only-chickens I've had that have flown up on me.

i have a mottled houdan pullet. she's not feisty at all, but nothing really friendly about her either. i love the roo. they're just so flashy with the coloring and their head ornament.

if i had a choice for freindlyness factor, i'd go with the buttercup. the houdans, i think are more for show.

Anyone else have experience with buttercups?I picked up three today! I thought their combs were awesome! I was reading online tho they dont like confinement. They can't freerange because we have a lot of stray dogs around here. They're in a 8 by 12 run and 4 by 8 coop all sheltered and safe. I didn't screw up did I?
tongue.png

I hatched Buttercup babies via bator and gave them to a broody to raise. I kept two and they are great little birds. They are only about two months old, not very big, but have funny personalities.
I'm not sure ANY chicken likes confinement!
lol.png

I hear ya there!
lol.png
I wish I could let them free range, we'd have a gorgeous yard with beautiful ladies and roos walking about. Dang neighborhood with dogs that are not confined. The price of living out of city limits I guess.
roll.png

I have buttercups and they don't mind the coup and enclosed run, they have never tried to escape but mine are a little stand offish, kind of cat like in personality, sort of I will come to you when I want to buddy! And once they do they will sit with you as long as they want and then they are gone again. I do like them they are very funny birds.

Back
Top Bottom