Mottled Java is loud...WHY?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaloola, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jaloola

jaloola Happy Joyous & Free

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    I have a mottled Java that I have posted about before questioning her 'alarm call' or 'egg song'... She is about 6 months old and hasn't laid an egg yet. Recently, she has started doing this very loud call in the morning...bock bock bock BAWK! bock bock bock BAWK! I thought it was an alarm call or maybe an egg song but I'm starting to wonder if it is just a complaint about wanting out of the run to free range.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Here's a photo so you know she is indeed a girl.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't have that breed, but I do have three very loud girls. One is a light brahma, two are salmon faverolles. I best be on time to let them out in the morning or boy, do I hear about it! [​IMG]

3. jaloola

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    When you say you hear about it, do you mean she complains loudly? I am still new to chickens and would like to understand them better.
    I'm in a very urban area and I even though the neighborhood dogs are louder and more often loud, the chicken sound really stands out because it's not the norm.

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Could be anything. My BR Mean Marge starts making loud bawking noises as soon as she hears me open the door. She does it the whole time I am cleaning the coop, giving them treats, working outside, etc. She is just a chatty hen who can be quite the nag when I am busy with the everyday chores in the coop. The other girls are quiet (probably because they cant get a word in edgewise!). If you observe her for a bit, you may find out why she is "loud" in the morning.

5. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Mine do that if they get interrupted on the nest and HAVE NOT laid their egg yet. I have 3 Mottled Java hens and man are they broody. They aren't even 9 months old and they've each gone broody twice already. Enough already!!! Give me some eggs!

6. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Ours do their bock-bock-bock-ba-BAWK! call in one of three situations:

1) if they are stuck somewhere and the rest of the flock is somewhere else, and they desperately want to join them

2) if they have not been let out of their coop and it is later than usual in the morning and/or if they are in their run but really want to go free-range

3) if they feel like complaining for no apparent reason

They do this call quite frequently, but it's hard to hear them when you are inside the house, so we rarely hear it unless we have the windows open.
    BTW: I have never heard a call that seemed to be correlated with them laying an egg; however, I'm sure they exist. At any rate, there was no changes in the noise levels of our hens once they started laying. They are generally quite creatures, except for the call which you have described.

Good luck! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes. Jezebel (the light brahma) bawks loudly, non-stop, no matter what she's doing. When I've had enough and say Jezzie HUSH! She stops for a split second, gulps and then Bawk! Bawk! Bawkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Gotta love my Jezzie. [​IMG]

8. jaloola

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    Thank you all for the observations and sharing your experience. I love watching the girls and am learning a lot but there's just something about the call that makes me anxious... I'm used to their quiet ongoing cluck conversation that is so soothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by