Mottled Java - tell me it isn't so...

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a very small flock of 3 sold to me as pullets at a few days old. They are now 8.5 weeks old. My Mottled Java (Velvet) who is the white one with black markings started out very small and hit a growth spurt about 3 weeks ago. Now she's the biggest and has developed red wattles and her comb is much bigger than the others (which are other breeds). I have been hoping she's just a quick maturing pullet. But this morning, she tried to crow 5 times...I started to cry :(. She is such a sweetheart and sits in my lap every day and just wants to be petted and petted. I'm so sad.

Could it be that she's NOT a rooster?? She doesn't have any pointy saddle or hackle feathers at this time.

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 81
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 55
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I have a very small flock of 3 sold to me as pullets at a few days old. They are now 8.5 weeks old. My Mottled Java (Velvet) who is the white one with black markings started out very small and hit a growth spurt about 3 weeks ago. Now she's the biggest and has developed red wattles and her comb is much bigger than the others (which are other breeds). I have been hoping she's just a quick maturing pullet. But this morning, she tried to crow 5 times...I started to cry :(. She is such a sweetheart and sits in my lap every day and just wants to be petted and petted. I'm so sad.

Could it be that she's NOT a rooster?? She doesn't have any pointy hackle feathers at this time.
That’s a cockerel unfortunately… :(

Not looking glaringly male, and wattles aren’t so big yet. Some breeds will begin wattle development on the earlier side. However, the feathers in the saddle and tail area do not look rounded. It is too early for male saddle feathers to be apparent, but the lack of rounded feathers is an indicator of possible male. I’ve never had mottled Java though.

Back
Top Bottom