Mottled Lavender Orpington Chick - What's wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenfamilyfarms, Aug 14, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    This chick hatched about 10 days ago in our incubator along with some other chicks. It pipped from the wrong end (the small end) of the egg, but managed to free itself from the shell. After it hatched, it was apparent there was something a little wrong with it. It wasn't standing up and walking around but would lay on its side and scoot around. After the other chicks were taken to the brooder, I worked with this chick to get on its feet, walking around, eating and drinking. I really wasn't expecting it to survive more than a few days. But, it is hanging in there so I thought I would get another opinion on what I should do.

The eye on one side was white and glazed over at hatch and still remains that way. It gets a little crusty from constantly watering, which I have to clean up with a baby wipe. I don't know if it is because of the eye or another issue, but it's head is also turned to one side. I can straighten the neck out, but the chick acts like it bother it when I do that but not in pain. Other than that, it acts, eats & drinks, and poos like a normal chick. It is currently eating Southern States chick starter and has access to fresh water. No symptoms of disease or illness and in a brooder box of 8 other chicks. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem or is it something that it will have to learn to adapt to?

I have uploaded pictures on Photobucket for you to see. Once my Golden Feather Membership kicks back in, I'll post some on this thread as well.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Oh, dear.

I had one like that once (different breed), and I never had any success in fixing the neck, nor the eye. The eye appeared to be permanently damaged from a scratch or something during hatch. The neck continued like that until it was more difficult for him to eat when he got older. I kept thinking I'd let him live, that his quality of life was good. But he was picked on by the other birds, and though he was the sweetest thing ever, I had to put him down. I couldn't give him the time and care he began to need.

Quasimodo was 5 months old when we sent him off to Heaven. He was a wonderful sweet boy, perhaps because of the extra care. I swore I'll never do that again, because for personal self-preservation, I can't have a heartbreak like that again- certainly not by choice.

I felt it was all just stuff that happened during/prior to hatch, and it was unfixable.

Someone will get mad at me for it, but we had to put him down. It just wasn't fair to him. I wasn't able to sit with him to protect him all day.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's exactly what I was debating. It doesn't get picked on my the chicks, but gets jostled around a lot because it just can't see them coming. I'm not sure of the quality of life it will have if it does make it to adulthood. It could end up being the sweetest chicken ever or dependent on me for its every need.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quasi was fine until his 'brothers and sisters' began to hit puberty. He was picked on by the boys and beaten up by the girls. The neck got stiffer and he had to eat sideways, with deep food. The others ate the food, so he'd only get to eat while I kept everyone else at bay. I separated him, but then he was lonely. He couldn't preen well and was constantly fighting mites and lice when no one else was. It was tragic. I already have one I tube feed, so it was too much.

I loved him, and it would have been easier if it had been prior to falling in love with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by