1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mottled leghorn rooster x white leghorn hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kerri10, Mar 12, 2013.

1. kerri10

kerri10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    hi all
    I bred a black leghorn rooster with white leghorn hen and the result was two white with few spots of black pullets. now if I breed these two pullets with a mottled leghorn what colour will the offspring be? I would like some mottled leghorns or exchequer.

I also have a blue leghorn hen if I breed her with the black leghorn rooster im guessing ill get 50 blue and 50 black, would this be right? also if I bred her with the mottled leghorn would the outcome be the same? i also have a brown pullet which looks leghorn but im not sure so if i bred her with the mottles leghorn would the chicks be mottled?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Mottled leghorn x ( black x white leghorn) = F1 white leghorns and F1 black leghorns ( you may hatch mottled birds if the white leghorn parent carried mottling)

To get more mottled birds you will have to back cross the F1 black offspring with a mottled leghorn and some of the offspring will be mottled

black x blue = black and blue offspring you are correct

blue x mottled = black and blue offspring you are correct

brown pullet x mottled rooster = black offspring only no mottled offspring

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by