mottled leghorns

They are line.They have 2 genes who make the pattern-Brown color like Brown Leghorns and Mottled gene (Mo).There is not Dominant White in theres genetiks.

Last edited:
As Ve said the brown or red mottled leghorns contain genes form a light brown leghorn ( gold duck wing) and another bird that carries the mottling gene. The mottling gene is recessive so it takes two mottling genes ( mo/mo) to make a mottled bird. Some white leghorns carry the mottling gene but you can not see the mottling effect because of the dominant white and silver genes in the white leghorn.

If I was going to make a red mottled bird I would cross exchequer leghorn hens with a light brown leghorn male. The exchequer females most likely carry silver so the male offspring from the cross will also carry silver and a gold gene from the light brown hens. The females will carry gold like the light brown leghorn.

Then cross the offspring from the first cross. I would hatch about 40 to 50 eggs to insure I would get a couple of the red mottled birds (females)and a few males will be silver duckwing and mottled.

The red mottled and silver duckwing mottled birds will most likely be darker then regular brown leghorns. They will have extra black in the pyle region. You would have to cross the dark mottled red and silver duckwing mottled birds to remove the extra black ( hatch 25 ). Some of the offspring from the dark mottled leghorn cross will also be dark like the parents but a few of them will be a red mottled leghorn. You will also get some silver duckwing mottled birds. You could have both types of mottled birds.

Then breed the lightest colored birds together. If you can, do not use any silver males for breeding silver duckwing mottled birds that have straw colored hackles and buff on their backs. These males are not pure for the silver gene. If you do not have any males that are pure for silver use them and then select for purebred silver males.

Hens will be either be silver duckwing or gold duckwing.

Tim

Last edited:
whoa, not a simple endeavor i see. thanks for the explanation.

i do have one more question, which brown leghorn would be considered the old fashion type. you know the type that ya use to get, if ya simply ordered brown leghorns.

the light brown or the dark brown?

You will order a light brown leghorn. Danish would work but are genetically different than the light brown- the females will be a darker color with a salmon breast. the males will be a darker color in the pyle region. The dark brown would also work but the females will not have the salmon colored breast and be a bit darker.

You could also use an mottled ancona in place of the exchequer. I like the ancona better than the exchequar cross now that I think about it.

Tim

Tim, why would you like the Ancona cross better? I've owned both Anconas and Exchequers, and I personally much prefer the leghorns!

I thought mottled leghorns were called exchequers?
hu.gif
In which you could just order some from a hatchery.

Quote:
That red Ancona is a mille fleur, isn't it?

I've got mille fleur leghorns, but they look different than the brown and red mottled leghorns on the feathersite page.

Back
Top Bottom