Mottled Orpington Egg Hatched - Close up photos - Julie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissPrissy, Apr 19, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I thought you might be interested in seeing this little chick that came out of my one mottled orp egg that hatched this week.

I took them outside today and let them play in the grass and sunshine.

This chick hatched out black with a buffish/yellow light down and some almost white down. You can just begin to make out on the face the buffish type coloring there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 different colors of wing feathers coming in is interesting.

Are the hens being bred to your mottled roo a true black or blacks from the blue/black/splash?

The painted nails are so I can identify it from the others. It does blend right in!

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a bunch of cuties! Julie is on vacation through most of April so not sure when she'll get a chance to answer the post.

3. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thanks, Cyn. I wasn't sure how long she would be gone. I intend to document this little baby because I know she has expressed interest in how chicks from her mottled roo develop. Out of 5 eggs there were 2 that began to develop and 1 quit around day 18. This is the only one that hatched. It makes it kind of special. [​IMG]

4. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    i just went to tsc and let my daughter get 8 chicks and i dont know what kind they are. but the 6 look just like that one.i looked for baby chicks and they look just like black jersey giants. did you or someone get one mixed up!.

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I promise you there is no way TSC has a mottled orpington or a blue/black/splash orpington.

These chicks were hatched from eggs from a breeder of this specific type of orpington.

You won't find these in main stream hatchery chicks. [​IMG]

Different breeds of dark chicks can look similar.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, no hatcheries sell these to feedstores, I promise. The only two in the U.S. that I know of that sell the straightrun chicks are sold out till the end of fall this year. And they are not cheap, either. None of the big hatcheries have them.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaawwwwwwwww I want that baby....all of the babies....I have plenty of room in the hot tub for em too. [​IMG]

MissPrissy thoughts are truly beautiful healthy looking babies. Well done to your mamas.

8. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Such a pretty chick...can't wait to see the follow-up photos showing the growth. It has amazed me how quickly the chicks grow up. [​IMG]

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have one of Julie's mottleds that hatched out a couple of weeks ago. Also has some white feathers like that. Im anxious to see how she grows out.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Ok...I'm jealous of your mottled chicks.....two tries and none of those hatched either time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by