Mottled Orpingtons w/PICS

RoRoinGA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
NE GA
During my Lavender Project I hatched many chicks out, and selected few for my project. Two of which now are a Roo and Hen both having the same coloring. These birds are mottled orpingtons and are beautiful. Here are some pics, whick really dont do them justice but I wanted to show yall. She has started laying and I am so excited bout hatching some of their eggs.

49204_dscn1542.jpg

49204_dscn1551.jpg

Are you referring the barred birds in the pictures or did you post the wrong pics? Those don't appear mottled, but barred. Very pretty though.

kathy, the mottleds from my project don't look anything like that at maturity. They are solid black with white tips on their feathers.

Quote:
That's what I was wondering about. The last ones I hatched I did keep for a couple months, and they were actually looking very mottled .... like black and white speckles. A friend of mine has them, and I want to go out see how they turn out.

I can assure you these were hatched from my Lavender Roo whick came from Hinksjc and a black orpington. I thought they looked different at first so I kept them.

the mottleds from my project don't look anything like that

That's because the birds pictured here aren't Mottled, they're Barred. They don't look much like Orpingtons either.​

Last edited:
Mottled would look more like this -

(not my bird)
33115_mottledpullet.jpg

Yours look just like bad barring somewhat like hatchery Marans. Are you using a Barred Rooster?

There nice looking birds but there not Mottled..

Chris

Quote:
Can you post pictures of the parents?
Like NYREDS there not even Orpington type..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom