Mottled Pekins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zahboo, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Bantam Cochins, Pekins which ever. I have a quad of mottled cochins and they are speckled on their chests and wings, and have black backs and tails. One of them has white in her tail, is this a disqualification? Also they have mottling on their down blow their vent, is that good?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They sound like my mottleds. I don't show them though- so not sure if the white on the backside would be a DQ or not.

3. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    A mottled takes time to be at there maximum potential they could take 6 month and some my take 4 to 5 years. But with every molt they be get more and more mottling eventually they will have mottling where they dont have it now! If the feather doesnt have the correct v shape in the white mottling then it is a defect a solid white feather is a defect as well!

4. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Quote:yup, what they said, basically. You want about one in every two-three feathers on the main body tipped in a v-shaped white mark, one in every three on the head a white tipped feather, and a one in four on the hackles in rooster to be what...something like a minimum length of 1/3 an inch tipped in white. You want white v-marks on every single primary and secondary wing feathers, and a white "frosting" on the fluff feathers on the backs of the thighs and below the vents.

So, depending on how much of the tail feathers are white, it wouldn't necessarily be a direct defect.

hope this helped at least a little bit!

-Mottie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by