Mottled/Spangled orp with red leakage

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DGailP, Dec 21, 2016.

1. DGailP

DGailP Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    I know that the mottled orpingtons were bred to Jubilee and that there is always a chance of getting some red leakage in the mottled. Is that what I'm seeing on this chick? It later molted out and there is no sign of the leakage, but I also have two very young chicks with the same reddish brown feathers. It only shows up on one or two feathers right now. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Yes that is very common, chicken genetics are dominant meaning traits of both parents will be blended in the young (most of the time). Has it molted out of the other chicks?

drumstick diva and pineapple416 like this.
  3. DGailP

DGailP Just Hatched

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, it seems to be molting out.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm thinking it will molt out - they are lovely birds

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

6. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I agree with the others that it is molting out. I love Orpingtons, such pretty chickens and great personalities!

7. amunk01

amunk01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Ok. I have a mottled/ spangled Orp hen and rooster pair (about 7months old) that I had hoped to hatch chicks out of, but after learning more im wondering if i should. Im not sure it will "better" the breed because the hen has some red leakage on her breast. I had hoped to hatch chicks, breed those to a black, then back to the mottled Roo. If so, will I be battling leakage for multiple generations if i start with a hen with leakage? Or is leakage in the mottled Orps semi-common to manifest since the breed is still "new" so a hen with zero leakage could still produce random offspring with some leakage? Sorry, if thats confusing! Im still completely new to this. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Also feel free to critique the two. Id love to know what faults these two have. Im having such a hard time discerning SOP. I have no idea what im looking for, ive compared my two against dozens of pictures, but i have a completely untrained eye.. Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

8. Jacquie Button

Jacquie Button Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2017
    California
    What beautiful birds!

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    You've got a good a pair to start with. Good shape and pattern. They'll take about another year to get to their full size. Keep them on a good balanced feed with a little extra protein, they'll need it. I add oats and sunflower seeds to the feed for my Orpingtons and Brahmas for extra protein and fat.

Leakage is something every breeder deals with from time to time. Even in old established bloodlines deal with it. I myself have used birds with leakage for breeders. Sometimes they pass it on and sometimes they don't. I would suggest trying them out and see what happens. Keep back the birds that don't show any leakage of course. And cull or sell the ones that do get it. Also you might look for another pair "preferably unrelated to yours" and split yours up. Meaning roosterA with henB and roosterB with henA. This will strengthen your bloodline and hopefully help to eliminate leakage problems.

Pattern is one of the easiest traits to control. You want to look for good type to breed with. Meaning the overall shape and carriage, head shape, comb shape, wide set and heavy legs, tail shape and carriage. You don't want to pick up every bird that has good pattern. Introducing a "bad" physical trait will set back your breeding program years to breed it back out again.

Also I would mention, from my own years of experience with English Orpingtons. They are very prone to bumble foot. Keep their bedding clean, soft, and deep "like 2-3 inches" and low roosts so that they don't have to jump down very far. Mine are only about 18-20 inches off the ground.

amunk01 and drumstick diva like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful pair hope you get good ofspring from them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by