Mottled Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by encorepistol, Jan 24, 2010.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Is there a way to breed a mottled wyandotte from colors of them already or would a different breed have to be introduced into the mix? I've got bantam mottled cochins and just love the look of the birds. I've got LF Blue wyandottes so thought maybe breeding to mottled Java would be a start.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- the mottling gene is recessive, so if you do it it will take a while.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:A Long Time is right...You could do it though !

4. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I talked to an old wyandotte breeder about this one time and if I remember correctly its a pretty complex cross. You can start by crossing black with white BUT you have to have a black who is gold genetically in their make up. Example would be a Black that has red in his hackle or saddle or even a Brown red to cross with a white. He explained to me that you have to have that type of Black to break up the colors if that makes any sense. I kind of messed with crossing some a little but never got much out of them to keep with it honestly. The other thought would be to cross a Black wyandotte with a Rose Comb Ancona to keep the comb and leg color, would have to work on the ear lobes though because the Anconas would be white.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep it could be easily done with several years of work, there are already mottled Wyandottes in the UK and Im surprised some one hasn't already make them here in the US.

Do you know how the recessive mottleing gene works? If not, here it goes.

You can start with preeding a mottle Java, or maybe you mottle cochin bantams if you want, with a blue or black Wyandotte.

This will give all black ( or blue if you use blue wyandottes) birds and they will carry one copy of the mottleing gene, and be split mottled.

you would need to breed those F1s together and that will give about 25% mottled birds.

Then breed those mottled F1s back to the pure wyandottes and that will start you back over will all split mottled birds, keep breeding the split mottleds together to get more mottled and then breed the mottled ones back to the wyandottes until you get the correct wyandotte type. If you use your cochins, you should have the feathered leggs bred out and the rose comb bred in by the time you get to the wyandotte type.

BTW do you sell blue and black mottled cochin eggs? please email me if you do and tell me your prices, thanks

6. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    thanks for the replies it kinda makes sense. So even when breeding mottled to mottled not all birds will be mottled but carry the mottling gene? I haven't started selling eggs yet and actually just set 8 in the bator to test fertility on them. I'm in the process of getting my flock npip tested and wouldn't want to sell anything before then really. Ill keep u in mind if and when I decide to do so!

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No, when you breed mottled to mottled, you WILL get all mottled chicks.

Mottled to nonmottled will give all solid chicks but they will carry one copy of the mottleing gene (split mottled), ( they have to have 2 copies to show mottleing)

mottled to split mottled will should give half mottled and half split mottled

split to split should give 25% mottled, 50% splits, 25% that don't carry the gene at all, ( you won't be able to tell the splits from the pure solids though) well sometimes the splits will have some mottling in their breast feathers when they are young, I have a black Silchin pullet that is a cross of a Black mottled cochin on a white silkie hen and she is black with just a few mottles in her breast feathers, but she is young and it will eventually molt out.

8. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    ok i gotcha!!

9. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I love wyandottes and a black mottled wyandotte sounds real interesting.I have a bantam black mottled cochin and I love the color pattern.Sonebody get to work on this. [​IMG]

10. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    I'd love to but not sure I have the space to do it yet. Trying to better my blue laced reds and blues first but may throw in a mottled Java roo , if I can find one ,with my blue hens and see what I can come up with. I've got a buddy looking for mottled Java eggs but we haven't had any luck finding decent ones yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by