1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mottled x Mille Cochin ...golden laced?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Msbear, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Many of you know I have jumped into the mfc project ...like many others. Some are line breeding to improve type. I thought I'd give mine a jump start by crossing them with exceptional mottled cochins for some added fluff... then working the next few years to regain color.

I have been having an extremely difficult time with fertility. Just when I was ready to cut my roos entire tail off, then hens stopped laying. Fortunately, I had 3 fertile eggs. ...I know, very pitiful.. and not a great start with what Im trying to achieve. But, here's where I am.

the cockerel:
    this guy is already displaying great type and red/gold hackle feathering is just beginning.. but, the feathers are black, edged w/gold and tipped w/ white instead of gold feathers edged w/ black then tipped w/ white
    [​IMG]

the pullets:
    pullet#1 is displaying the same reverse black/gold feathering
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pullet#2 is looking buff columbian w/ a bit of white
    [​IMG]

I will definitely test them out to see what they throw but was wondering if anyone knows why the reversal and how this will affect the color when put back to mille fleur?

Thanks.

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Tadkerson?.... Krys?... anyone?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I dont know, but I like the looks of the last one. BUT, I think SHE may be a HE. Only time will tell. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:I was kind of thinking the same thing because of the red in the waddles and the pattern (roos will develop the pattern in the saddle area) but so far so good [​IMG] The other cockerel is the same age and his comb and waddles are huge and bright red...

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I like pullet # 2! I know- I'm no help at all.
    I was going to try my MFC roo over a white hen and try to get some buff columbians out of it. Funny how the MF works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by