Mouldy Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksooner, Sep 3, 2016.

1. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I dumped a new sack of feed on my other feed last night after dark and filled the feeders. Today I discovered it was mouldy. I scooped out what I could but that doesn't do anything for all the feed they have already eaten. Do I just wait and see what happens or should I do something for them. Is there anything I can do for them? I have already lost so many this summer to the heat. I can't stand the thought of more dying.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you know how much they ate?

Hopefully they didn't eat too much of it, since you put it out after dark and discovered it this morning.
    Dump every bit of the feed and remove any that may have spilled.

Make sure they are drinking well and give them some fresh food.

Just keep an eye on them. There are toxin flushes that you can try if any of them start to seem a bit off.

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

3. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Well they ate quite a bit of it. I have fed them oatmeal with black strap molasses and added ACV to their water. They all seem fine so just continuing to watch them. THanks for the links. They are book marked.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The molasses act as a laxative, so hopefully if they did ingest quite a bit, it will move things along[​IMG]

I'm not sure how long it would take for any symptoms to present, so I'd watch them for a few days.

I hope they continue to do well and no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by