Moulting a Blizzard in Virginia! Will they freeze to death?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by N. Virginia, Nov 8, 2011.

1. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    My chickens (all 2 of them!) are moulting like mad...the whole coop is covered with feathers. Why are they doing this NOW? It's too cold...they should have done it earlier. I got them at 10 weeks old last October, so they must be around 14 months old.

Any advice? Do they now need a heater? They don't have one now, and temps are below freezing at night. All they do is sit in the coop.
    Cheers,
    N. VA

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] A lot of chickens molt between now and January. They first shed the old feathers to make room for the new feathers they build a thick down base and a complete set of new feathers for preparation of the real cold which is below freezing [​IMG]

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep....no problem. They seem to do just fine with their bare spots showing in the wind...and before you know it, you will notice they are fully feathered and you didn't even get to see it happening.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Make sure your coop is draft-free and they'll be fine.

5. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Out of curiosity, our chickens are almost 2 years old, and to my knowledge, they have never molted (and they could use it, too... [​IMG] ) What are you doing? Do you have a light in the coop? Are they still laying? I've read that if you don't keep them going though the winter, they will molt then, but unfortunately at our house they must earn their keep in the winter, too. So...just wondering about the circumstances of your chickens, that they are molting. Thanks! [​IMG]

6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Quote:Great graphics!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by