Moulting Aid

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mintymintymid, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mintymintymid

mintymintymid Out Of The Brooder

Hi everyone,

I have a year old ISA Brown x Rhode Island Red hen who lays 6 days per week. I was expecting her to begin moulting in Spring but it is Summer now and she has still not started. I'm worried about her as she really struggles with temperatures over 28 degrees celsius and we have started having 30 plus each day.

She pants, spreads her wing feathers out and her heart beats a lot faster. On the really warm days, we've had to keep her inside with us and the A/C

Is there anything I can do to help speed up her moulting season or help her to keep cooler, as we aren't home every day to have her inside.

Thanks!!

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    It is winter over where I live.....When is is really warm out I give my girls cool water with ice and frozen fruit and veggies. Also make sure to provide lot's of shade and maybe even an ice pack for her to rest on. I also fill tubs with water so they can stand in it. Good luck with your girl!
    -Roxy

Also you can force a molt by restricting feed and water, I find it cruel, she will molt when her body tells her to
    Oh!!!and [​IMG] I'm glad your here! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Molting usually occurs in late summer or fall. Some folks force a molt, but it`s really hard on the bird and not recommended. As long as she has shade and water, she should be fine outside.......Pop

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    On really hot days here, I wet down the run real well to encourage evaporation which cools the air in the run about 10 to 15 degrees. I have sand in the run so watering it down doesn't cause a mud problem. If you have a well-draining soil in your run, you might give this a shot.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Does she have shade?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by