Moulting and Showing X POST

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ladyfishkathy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ladyfishkathy

ladyfishkathy New Egg

Aug 6, 2008
    My children are participating in a youth poultry show, and the bantam brahma is in moult...(We DO NOT force molt our chickens, like I know some people do to reduce molt during show times). Should we take her??? How does this hurt her during judging, I mean, molting is a natural process and it is molting season here! Please advise and let me know! Thanks, KAthy If any of you are judges, I would love to hear you chime in!

2. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    If she is going to be your only bird, then just take her, but don't expect to get 1st place. [​IMG] If you are bringing other birds that are not molting, leave your molting birds home. [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A poultry show is basically a beauty contest so a bird in full molt is at an obvious disadvantage.
    That said, the approaches to judging youth shows can vary widely. In many cases these shows aren't judged by a licensed judge.
    Myself, when I do judge youth show, particularly at county fairs, I tend to be pretty lenient. In a case like this, if the bird was clean and well cared for, I'd probably compliment the child on how they were caring for their bird and explain why I had to give it a second not a first. This approach is usually well accepted by the child involved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by