Moulting/appetite?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Creaking pines kids, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    Some of my hens are moulting and seem to be losing their appetite. Is this normal?

2. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I'm new to chickens but two of mine (18 month olds) are in a long molt right now and their appetites are definitely off. I have been sneaking them out extra protein treats because they don't even bother to try and eat from the daily treat plate anymore.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

3. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    My EE, Nutmeg, is in her first real molt and she seems abit aloof and off her food as well. She has always been a lively, almost roostery in behavior but now is just quiet, in the backround and just a little off. Her EE pal, Sugar, is off her molt and was the same way but her appetite is back with a vengence and she is running and fliting around Nutmeg.

I think it is normal, but a good idea to sneak in extra treats in general (especially protein), vitamins in the water and keep them free from drafts. A little TLC during their "special" time will carry them through.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I noticed the same thing in mine. They seem to be improving now though. I started feeding them eggs and rice for the extra protein and calories. It stopped the weight loss almost immediately.

5. Creaking pines kids

Creaking pines kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    NC
    Thank you for the quick response!

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I notice a drop in food consumption goes hand in hand with a drop in egg production, too. A molting chicken is probably not laying or not laying much. In the winter when egg laying goes down I notice our flock consumes less food, also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by