Moulting chicken not leaving coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by inkedvegan, Jun 24, 2016.

1. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh
    This is my first time experiencing moult with chickens. One of my girls looks real pathetic and im assuming shes going thru a tough moult. Shes slow moving anf basically spends her whole day inside the coop. She is not egg bound although not laying at the moment. Her crop is a little bloody also. She eats when i put food in front of her and have been giving her extra protein to help her work through it. She lets me pet her whereas she wouldnt normally. Any suggestions? Is this normal?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy inkedvegan

I have a gal who goes through a hard moult every year. She does tend to mope and while none of the girls like the wind at the best of times, she does try and stay out of the wind even moreso. She also keeps her distance from the other gals.

When you say “she lets me pet her” did you know that the moult process and pin feathers can be a bit painful for them, so it is best to keep touching to a minimum?

“Her crop is a little bloody” is concerning. I have not experienced bleeding in any of my gals’ moults and while not 100% positive, I do not think that is normal.

Is it possible that she is being bullied and her feathers are being pulled out by one of the other chickens or by herself?

Also, could she be broody? Broody hens stop laying and will pull out their chest/underbelly feathers in preparation of keeping the eggs close to their skin and warm.

3. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

for molting not laying is normal although some hens lay while they molt she should look ruffled and her feathers should be everywhere if she is molting. a bloody crop is not normal

4. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh

5. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh

I don't think she's broody. She roosts all day instead of laying in the nest box and she never lays on any of the others eggs. I never touch her where her new feathers are coming through. I've heard it can be painful. I know shes being picked on by the alpha which could be the issue with her crop. It's more scabby at the tips than bloody but it's not a pox.

6. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh
    [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey inkedvegan

Did you mean her comb is bloody?

Sorry, I have no experience with pox but agree that the comb issue could be because it is getting pecked by the alpha.

I also agree that she does not sound broody. She could be “roosting all day” to hide from being bullied.

To me, she does not look to be moulting in that picture but it is not really a good one for determining a moult.

I would be keeping a close eye on her for any other signs of illness or distress; paying particular attention to poop irregularities or signs of discomfort.

Do you worm your chickens? Have you ruled out parasites; lice or mites? An infestation can cause them to feel poorly.

8. inkedvegan

inkedvegan New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Raleigh

We had lice a few weeks ago and that issue has come and gone. They have all been treated for lice and mites. We have never wormed them. Her moult started on her back and those feathers are almost completely grown in. The back of her neck is where shes missing feathers now. I know she is most likely hiding out from rosie our alpha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by