Moulting?? Disease??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7 chooks, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 7 chooks

7 chooks New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi, I have 7 chickens in total. 3 of these chickens have bald areas on their sholders on 1 or both wings. This has been going on for a couple of months now. Skin area is pink and not bloody. We thought this was molting but now not so sure. They look like there are new feathers coming and other areas of their bodies seem fuller and fluffier with feathers but all I have read says they only moult in end of Summer/Autumn and here in New Zealand we are in Summer (and as I say...this has been going on for a couple of months now.)?? Egg production is non exsistant. they are approx 18 months old.
    What does anyone think??

All advice appreciated.

2. 7 chooks

7 chooks New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Although new feathers look like they are on there way the bald patch seems to never completly cover??

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Time of year isn't that set in stone, and 18 months is a usual age for molting.

You didn't mention whether you had checked for lice / mites, which can also cause this.

http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8162.pdf

4. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Make sure that there isn't a mites/lice problem. If you can rule that out and they act (eating, drinking) otherwise normal then it is probably molting. It can seem like it will go on forever..... especially with more hens. My flock is molting and it seems like it has been going on all winter, feathers everywhere around the coop and yard, like there was a huge pillow fight ;-)
    Mine usually don't have bald areas, just "uneven" feathering............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by