Moulting - Do all breeds Moult?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by triplecrazy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. triplecrazy

triplecrazy New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Do all chickens lose their feather when they moult. Mine have not loss feathers but seemed to have moulted. No eggs for a few weeks, but didn't lose feathers. They are buff orpingtons.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some chickens go through a light molt where you can't even tell its happening. Others, however, have a complete blow out and are practically bald. I'm not sure of this goes for everyone, but my hens that take longer to moult (bald or not) seem to lay better and longer than the fast moulters I've had.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Exactly.

Some birds are quite subtle in their molt, such as missing tail feathers or slight bald spots on the back of their neck.

4. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    My chickens have too experienced light moults- I just see feathers on the coop floor but nothing substantial missing on the hen and then I have had chickens have complete blow outs and it took six months for one of them to feather out again. I had one RIR production bird, go completely bald on her back, I thought the rooster may be being too rough but there were no sores on her back from his claws, I thought she had mites, but no. And then when she did feather out (6 mos.), she started to develop rooster characteristics- she has a large rooster like comb and long waddles and little spurs. She still lays but the eggs are either shell-less or have paper thin shells. I credit the genentic messing arounds at the hatchery. But anyway.......

How old are your hens? I have hens have a light moult in their first year but by the second- poof- they look like they got caught in a feather puller.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The short answer it "yes". All moult a some point, it is just they do it in different ways. Also some lay during moult--although at a reduced rate--some stop from the time they start until all the new feathers are in. That's how they make life interesting.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. They generally molt once a year and I agree sometimes you can hardly tell and other times when the bird is practically naked.

7. triplecrazy

triplecrazy New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    They are second hand chickens - not sure how old they are. But they aren't young by any means. I've had them a couple of years. They are still producing well though most of the time.

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    two months ago mine were naked. now they are full of nice fluffy feathers and still no eggs. i think its time for dumplings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by