Moulting for 3 months?

Coupon Cook

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 3, 2012
I have a red star chicken and she started moulting about 3 months ago. I didn't think too much of it. But she hasn't grown any feathers back. She has featherless red breasts that look sunburned and some partially grown in feathers from the sides of her breast line all the way around the underside of her belly and stopping just below her top most tail feathers. Most of it is bare flesh. The partially grown in feathers are about 2 inches long and look like they will fluff out any day now, but they have not. She's way more chatty than the other 3 birds, but otherwise behaves just fine. There is plenty of space in the pen. They get to free range occasionally, eat a wide variety of table scraps, laying pellets, and oyster shells.

What could this be? she's been in this condition for 3 months now. I kept hoping that she would begin to grow more feathers but has not done so yet. Is it painful for the bird?

If she were plucking the feathers herself I think I might notice a lot of excess feathers and fluff in the pen, but I do not. Its almost like she's stuck mid moulting.

I should note that my other 3 birds have not moulted yet. I just got them in December and none of them were old enough yet to lay eggs. Since spring has come I get 2-3 eggs a day. All 4 of them had their wings clipped when I got them and the other 3 have since grown their wing feathers back. This one has not.

Back
Top Bottom