Moulting....FOR THE WINTER?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Matilda hen, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    Hey everyone , how are you and your flocks? Well , some of my chickens are beginning to moult , and getting lighter feathers coming into winter!! and tbh , im a lil worried , this happned last year and we lost a hen to the cold! i live in ireland , and its cold already , getting even colder. is there anything i can do?? what about these battery hen jumpers , i mean ive never thought of them before but would it be worth trying for the silly chooks who are moulting , and getting their summer feathers for winter?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Friend of mine lives in England and she knitted jumpers for her ex-battery hens last winter. They looked so cute in them! I'll ask her for some pics/pattern and send them to you.

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Molting before winter is normal. I also lost a hen once to the cold, but she dropped most of her feathers all at once, and they were not growing back. Most hens drop feathers more gradually, with new feathers growing in as old ones fall. When it happens like that, they can still keep warm. So I would just watch and wait and see how the molt goes.

4. Matilda hen

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    hmm , ok then! ill give it a go , and awww yes sumi please do hehe

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You can up their protein to promote faster growth of their feathers. I usually feed mine GBS its 28% protein.

6. Matilda hen

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    ok thanks , i feed them red mills 16% layers pellets , sould i add something to that or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by