Moulting girl is now broody! Feathers not growing back. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lavisy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Hi all,

Im sure the title says it all but I have a little girl going through her first moult but it has lasted months. She has no neck feathers, has a naked butt, a naked back and has "sticks" for wings and tail.

The problem im having is that the feathers are not growing back, esp her wings. She has been like this for ages.

I have learnt frizzles often have bad moults but this is getting silly! And to make matters worse she has now gone broody...poor girl.

I will get a photo of her today and post to show you guys. Her back skin does seem a little dry but im new to moulting so im not sure whats normal.

Is there anything I can do to help speed it along? I have increased the protein level they get but im unsure of what else to do.

Thanks guys, poor girl is so cranky, but who can blame her!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I sympathize! I had an experience with a Brahma who was just such a molting mess as yours. In fact, I believe it was one of my very first posts here on BYC and I was desperate for help. She had been that way for almost a year!

What I was told was that she was probably "stuck in molt". To get a chicken "unstuck" and the feathers growing in again, you need to shock them with a good amount of high grade protein.

I fed my hen canned tuna for a couple weeks, about two tablespoons daily. I also gave her yogurt and boiled chopped egg. It worked.

3. Lavisy

Lavisy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    Thank you Azygous....I will give that a go!

I will post a photo tomorrow, and keep you posted :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by