1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moulting Hens acting different

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Oct 22, 2012.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have three Barred Rocks and three Rhode Island Reds. The Rocks are all moulting but i have noticed that they are acting different. Normally they love to come out of their run and 'play' in the yard and garden. They scratch for bugs and worms, eat grass etc. They Rocks began moulting a few days ago and I noticed two of them, who are moulting heavier, were a little less energetic. Today when I went to let them out they stayed in the run at first, then they came out and then went right back in. They appear to be fine health wise.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever noticed different behavior in their hens when they are moulting.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Of course. They are quite uncomfortable and irritable during a moult. They'll feel better eventually. I guess we cannot blame them.

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yep...mine too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by