1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moulting NOW.. can this be right???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I have had a feather here, a few more there, a handfull here and today EVERYWHERE....feathers from most of my flock.. never had any molt so im wondering if thats what they are doing NOW...
    will they molt this time of year? no one is " naked " yet but if this keeps up they will be .. poor dear's [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep mine are moulting just as it starts to get colder. Hopefully they'll have their fresh new coats by November.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Molting here too, which is the usual time for my older girls.

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    My flocks were born end of march and end of April this year, totally new to this, will they molt soon, or wait til spring?

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I just trimmed my hens wings today and noticed one hen has new feathers coming in on her chest and belly so I am wondering if they are going to start moulting?? They were hatched throughout february and march....So who knows!

6. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    I wrote a similar post a little while ago - mine are molting I'm pretty sure and two of them haven't even started laying yet (they're 20 and 17 weeks). Grrr...just hoping it won't stop them from beginning to lay:( But they do have new feathers coming in everywhere!

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My more "mature" ladies are showing signs of molting... One of my BSL's looked awful several weeks ago, she has gotten most of her lovely feathers back.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My 4 almost bald 'ladies of a certain age'....i.e ageing hens are covered with new quills right now.

9. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    The last week or so has been colder here and the last week or so, I have noticed a lot more feathers off my three older girls. Moulting for sure! [​IMG]

10. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Molting here too - I currently have two hens with no tail feathers and lots of hens with missing feathers and new ones coming in. This is their first molt - I got them as chicks last June and they never molted the first year but they sure are making up for lost time this year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by