1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moulting or boredom feather pulling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchicks, Aug 21, 2011.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Hi I need a little help I think it's coming to moulting time but I'm not sure if it's stress as at the moment she is loving on her own as her sister is brooding with three very young babies .what should I do and what should I look out for

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What a good question.

Don't have any insight to give you--just a bump.

I thought that the broody hen really doesn't care about anything but her eggs, and then her chicks until a certain age...but if you only have 2--then the other one , since they are flock animals--would be ill at ease perhaps. If there was no aggession, perhaps you could recombine now that the eggs are hatched.

I read somewhere that there is a certain order in which feathers are lost in moulting....if you would like I could look for it---either email or pm me, and I will search around, or it may be just as easy to google something like 'order of feather loss in chicken moult' (or is it also molt).

Hope that you get adequate answers.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Red Rosie

Red Rosie New Egg

May 1, 2011
    I'm pretty new at raising chickens. We have 12 now (our maximum capacity) of different ages. Some of them seem to have stopped laying. Fortunately the pullets are starting to lay now. I haven't seen an excessive number of feathers laying around. How do I know for sure if the big girls are molting and how long does the molting process take?

5. ChicKat

hello-- again..... I saw this in 'unanswered posts' and I thought I had answered so I'm here again. (maybe it was posted in two topics?)

How very neat for Ridgerunner to have chicken molt and raise babies at the same time now that is efficient!!!

My hen started to go 'bald' and it was her facial feathers. She looked good, but strange. Now today, I am noticing that tiny hair-like feathers are starting to grow in beneath her comb.

For Red Rosie, I am pretty sure that there is a variation in the time it takes to molt start-to-finish, and among factors like breed of chicken and living conditions, temperature and length of daylight as well as chicken age--- what they are eating factors into their moulting/molting duration.

6. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Thank u for the help I'll take a look . Sadly I cannot put them back together yet Betty the one poising feathers seems to want to kill the new babies I did give It a go but she got one and hurt it shuckit and graves by the neck shacking very badly so I'm waiting a little bit will a month old they should be big enough to fend for them selves they are only a week old at the mo still learning! I've been watching betty and can see when she is pruning the feathers just seem to fall out !

7. ChicKat

Oh chickchicks,

if it looks like feathers are just falling out, then it is probably moulting time ---

Good thing that you protected the chicks, and that you are able to keep them apart until they can live together peacefully. I can just imagine the terror in the chicken brain to see some fuzzy little unknown thing, and her instinct to kill it to protect herself and the flock from the little invader.

I sure hope it works out for you!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by