Moulting?? or something else???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by P & Q Ranch, May 14, 2010.

1. P & Q Ranch

P & Q Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Davie, Florida
    I have 8 RIR hens that are a little over a year old. Four hens have bare butts! I assumed that they were moulting, but their butts have been bare for a few weeks now and I am getting concerned that I might have something else going on here. As I am new this year to raising chickens I would appreciate whatever you can tell me about these bare butts! One chicken has a very red butt!! If they are moulting, could it be that they need some extra nutrition or vitamins to grow new downy feathers? I feed them layer crumble, Cheerios, fresh fruit, and they free range in grass for bugs & such. Thanks, P & Q Ranch.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Are they laying? Because usually during the molt they will loose feathers and stop laying for a time. I do think they need extra protien in their diet during a molt, I like using cat food and cracked corn mixed in with there food and they seem to do great. I wouldn't give them fruit very often only as a occasional treat. I'm sure that others will have some great ideas for you! Good luck:)

3. leeandtina

leeandtina Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    Eastern PA
    just a friendly bump to see if anyone else has any more info...going through the same thing w/our rir's...their laying isn't affected though. p&q ranch...is your laying being affected?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. P & Q Ranch

P & Q Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Davie, Florida
    Thank you for your informative replies. My chickens have been laying but at only 50% and smaller eggs! But the chickens are two different ages and 4 of them are bare-butt right now. Thank you also for the link to Kansas State U it was very helpful. I will keep an eye on the hens and see if their butt downy feathers come back in OK. I was concerned that maybe they might even have mites or some kind of skin disorder, anyone out there still have any more suggestions??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by