Moulting or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madame Ovary, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Madame Ovary

Madame Ovary New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    Hi there BYC folk. I'm new to BYC, though I've been a lurker for some time, and this is my first post.

My Australorp x started to lose feathers on both wings about 2 months ago. One side is worse than the other and I've attached a photo to show the balder of the two sides. I've assumed this was a partial moult (she's about 1 year old now), but it seems to be dragging on for months and there have only been a couple of new feathers appear.

Additionally, the old feathers around the bald area are almost bare and are just down to the quill, and the skin is a little red (though not broken) around the bald area.

I was wondering if there was some other condition that could be causing this loss of feathers (a mite or some other parasite). Or maybe this is just a typical moult for a girl that hasn't gone through a full moult.

Otherwise, she is happy within herself, laying as normal and certainly has a great appetite (she the biggest guts out of our three).

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have a rooster? I have an EE hen that's a favorite of the rooster that gets that same baldness if she doesn't wear a saddle because the roo likes her so much.

3. Madame Ovary

Madame Ovary New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    Hi Pyxis,

No, we don't have a rooster.

We do have a confused Speckled Sussex that occasionally tries to mount her, though not often enough to wear her feathers out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by