Moulting question about an EE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Nov 13, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    This EE hasn't laid in well over a month, figured it was due to moulting and the light change. This morning the coop looks like a pillow fight took place, my EE Doris is looking much hapier and less scruffy. When can I expect her to start laying again? I do not have any artificial light for them. Should I expect her eggs to start coming in more regularly or just wait until spring?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Since she's molting, does this mean she's in her 2nd year (last year's hatch)??? If so, she'll most likely begin laying again this winter, although it probably won't be daily, since the days are so short. Each year after their first, it takes longer for them to bounce back, at least in my experience.

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have no idea how old she is my guess would be about 18 months old. She's currently an every other day girl. I've only had one other chicken moult and she never quit laying (she's every two days currently).

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    It really all depends on the hen. Each hen is different, and no guaranties. Some of my hen will just take a few days, others weeks, a few have went a month (or longer) before, and yet still other never slack up. Age does play a part, but it still will vary with each hen and there are always exception. Currently in my flock I have 2 EEs (both on their second year): 1 lays 4-5 week and fewer during molt, and the other lays 5-7 week and does not slack during molt. I had a exception to the rule BSL that was 3yrs old and still laid 6week, and I don't use artificial light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by