Moulting question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jo-Anne White, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Hi Guys

I think my ducks may be moulting but all of them at the same time???? Is that normal?
    I have two Pekin's & four Mallards there are a lot of feathers in their pen that's why I think they might be moulting but also they have stopped laying eggs its bee over a month now? How long does this normally last for & when will they start laying eggs again? Its summer here at the moment!!!

I live in South Africa how would their Moulting work is it a seasonal thing or do they moult according to their country of origin I have heard that that is possible not sure how true that is? Like I said its mid summer here winter only starts about June & lasts for around three months should they be moulting now?

They have a healthy appetite look a bit scruffy now with the loss of their feathers but still as tame & friendly as ever?

Please help me understand the moulting process.

Merry Christmas you all & thank you

Jo-Anne[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hey Jo-Anne, I'd say they are in molt, I have Muscovys and they usually molt early fall through late fall and by then laying is over for the year. I do have 2 older ducks 9plus years who are just finishing up their molts, but during molt ducks usually don't they because all their energy is directed towards growing their new plumage and it can take around 2 months so that is probably why your not seeing any eggs, to support them during this time, get some good quality poultry vitamins with probiotics, some even feed high quality cat kibble along with the feed to help boost the protein. They can look pretty scruffy during this time but boy will they be pretty once they get through it in back in feather, as far as when they molt I'm not sure except I am thinking if you type in Domestic Ducks molt you'll find info, I did I just can't bring it here since for some reason I can't copy /paste right now. Hope I helped a little anyway. Have a great day. [​IMG]

3. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Thank You so much really appreciate the advice, must admit I was worried I was doing something wrong? Thanks again & enjoy your holidays :)

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope your doing a great job. and being a good duck mom by worrying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by