Moulting + wheezing + bubbly eye, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brokenbeak, Dec 12, 2014.

1. brokenbeak

brokenbeak New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    As a new chicken owner (we got 5 hens 8 months ago), this site & forum has been so useful! Thanks to everyone... and now I have to post a question of my own. Help!

About a month ago (just as we had a few cold nights/first snow), I noticed one of our hens started moulting. I was worried - but I see by the photos in this forum that all chickens look pretty rough when they're losing their feathers...

But last week she had bubbles coming from her eyes and seemed to be sneezing and wheezing. I've isolated her from the other 4 hens and have been keeping her warm and, of course, well fed and watered. I put apple cider vinegar in water for the sick hen and the others, been also feeding all the birds some garlic -- there's so much "advice" online but those two things are easy to do and seem like they can't do any harm!

Sick hen seems a lot better; I haven't seen any eye bubbling for a week, and her feathers are coming back (though she still looks pretty rough). She's still wheezing a bit, but not sneezing much. Her back end is quivering a bit, but I don't know if that's a new thing. She to be eating, drinking and pooping OK.

Any advice? Should I move her back in with the others? Will she get better without drugs (I'm not going that route)? Should I keep her permanently away from the other birds, who all still seem very healthy?

We're in eastern Canada and winter is coming - I'd like to keep all the birds together for warmth (and company) if possible, but of course I don't want to endanger the healthy ladies!

Thank you!

2. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I definitely would not put her back with the other hens if she is still wheezing. I also wouldn't put her back until she has enough feathers to keep herself warm. Canada winters are too hard for a chicken that is molting and still sick.

She may or may not get better without medication. It depends on the cause. It sounds like a respiratory infection, which requires antibiotic treatment. Luckily antibiotics are dirt cheap.

3. brokenbeak

brokenbeak New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Thank you! Do you have a recommended antibiotic/dosage? Perhaps I should reconsider my "no drugs!" stance - I do want her to get better.

4. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Any store that serves farmers should have what you are looking for. This is what I bought - http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...-oz?sku=7VAA&gclid=CIuL9cDGwcICFaNj7AodcSAAEQ

It dissolves in the drinking water. I believe it was one or two tablespoons per gallon but you will prob have to look around on the forum to be sure of the correct dosage. Likely it won't have the dosage for chickens on the package. If you don't have a farm store but you have a pet store fish antibiotics can also work.

I can understand your hesitancy about using meds unless they are needed. Make sure to throw out your eggs for a few days after ending antibiotic treatment or you could be eating trace amounts of it, good luck!

5. brokenbeak

brokenbeak New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Thank you so much! I'll track some down - I'll try the farm store first. Her feathers are coming back in nicely; would be nice to see her healthy again. I'll post again with the results -- thanks again for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by