1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Moulting when so young?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnine, May 15, 2010.

1. jnine

jnine In the Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Hi all,

I have a hen something along the lines of a wayandotte/sussex cross that has been laying for around three months. the weather has just started getting cooler here, down from the 30+ daytime (celcius) temps of summer (mind 20's at night), to low 20's during the day and around 10 deg at night. I have four other hens, one is laying but has slowed down, and two that are point of lay. The white one is the only one moulting - is it normal for them to moult so young and so soon into starting laying?? She has been a good layer since she started as well. She is still acting normally and eating well.

Here is a photo of her, she only has two tail feathers left - the rest are in the floor of the coop, along with a large mound of white feathers!

Before moult (she always had a messy tail as she was pecked at by other chooks before I got her
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

There are several changes of plumage in their first year. It's not THE molt, but it is A molt, a mini-molt if you will.

3. jnine

jnine In the Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    thanks for your advice speckledhen, she is quite funny looking - right now she has a wing feather poking out at a 90 deg angle! Here's hoping her tail grows back straight!

4. jnine

jnine In the Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Here are some photos I took today - she has lost alot more feathers as you can see... and is quite cranky (more than usual!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: