Moulting

rebecca94

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
UK - Manchester
Hello everyone. I'm just getting abit worried as it's the wrong time of year for moulting isn't it?! Most of
My birds are moulting and quite abit. The whole pen and bird house is full of feathers. Is everything ok?

Thank you everyone in advance :)

If you are in the northern hemisphere, now is the time for moulting. I know there is a stockport in the UK but I imagine there are probably others throughout the world. Adding your country to your profile allows people to see at a glance where you are in the world and helps them give appropriate advice.

Best wishes

Barbara

You are north of the equator, thus you are in the northern hemisphere. The earth is now tilting away from the sun, and we get fall and winter when it does this.

The days are getting shorter, and it's the lack of continuous daylight that triggers molt.

Some chickens don't start molt until the cold weather really hits with a vengeance, and it seems like poor timing on their part, since they're going to be very chilly until all the new feathers grow in, but it usually happens pretty quickly and they're outfitted in their new garb.

Oh right!

I thought they moult when it's warm like dogs and cats do!! I now understand. Thank you very much. It looks like they've been fighting for the death in there!
Thank you very much guys!

Thank you so much for answering this question about fall or winter moulting as I have the same problem with one of my BO's. I have 4 chickens and am fairly new to chickens but learning a lot quickly. This one moulting Buff is also prone to brooding and has done so 4 times in the last two years. The first time, I had no idea what was with her and she ended up with several baths, a trip to the vet (who knew nothing about chickens) and finally I found this site and learned how stupid I was!! The Buff (called Re-Peat because she looks like her sister Buff named Peat), has become the most lovable and enjoyable chicken ever and wants to be picked up the moment we go into the back yard where they are free ranged during the day. Of course, there are no eggs when she is broody so I try to put here in a cage at night for a few nights instead of letting her have the nesting boxes and she comes out quickly. Once I tried to wait it out and she did the whole 3 weeks of brooding....I think it is funny how when broody, she still believes in her "imaginary" eggs being there. So much to still learn in this 71 year old retired nurse new to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom