1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moulting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cashew, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cashew

cashew New Egg

Jan 2, 2011
    Does Anybody Know How Long Barred Rocks Moult? Mine Have Been Moulting For About 3 Months And Have Not Been Laying Either.they Are Between 1 To 3 Years Old.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Are you sure they are molting and that they don't have mites or some other parasite?

3. cashew

cashew New Egg

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:I dont think they do. How can a person tell if they do?

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Mites are little bugs. Very tiny bugs. Do your birds have pin feathers coming in? And, have they lost feathers all over or just in one particular spot?

5. cashew

cashew New Egg

Jan 2, 2011
    They lost feathers all over their body about 2 months ago. They all have gotten new ones now but the havent laid a single egg in nearly 3 months. I have 17 of them 3 ars dominiqes 1 a wellsummer 1 a big white one 1 a big black one and the rest is barred rock. I just think it is odd none of them are laying. They eat well and drink too they look and act healthy they just are not laying any. I have some golden laced in a building right beside them and they are laying.

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sounds like the laying issue is not molt related.

Chickens natural cycle means that they will stop during the winter. This has to do with the shortening of daylight hours. Many folks that want eggs through winter will add supplimental lighting to give the hens an extra 2 hours of daylight to trick them into laying. When adding light it can take a couple of weeks for them to start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by