Moulting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by withca, Apr 16, 2008.

1. withca

withca New Egg

Nov 25, 2007
    My barred rock and black australorp have been moulting now for almost three months. The rock has lost all feathers on her behind to the point where it looks like a baboon's butt. No blood, just angry looking skin. How long will this go on? My birds are one year old today - laying down only slightly. Any suggestions. Birds appear healthy otherwise.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Try upping their protein intake and that should speed things up a bit. Some birds can be really slow molters.

3. withca

withca New Egg

Nov 25, 2007
    thanks - I'm new at this - can you give me some examples of appropriate protein sources?

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Try adding some ground flaxseed to their feed. Maybe a 1/2tbsp. to each bird's daily ration. Has fiber, protien, EFA's, lowers cholesterol in eggs and in people! Great for feather-making and has done wonders for my nails and my mom's cholesterol. GOOD STUFF!

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I switch to chick starter when they molt.

It ups the protien without getting all the other nutrition out of whack. [​IMG]

It also isn't a bad idea to check them for lice and mites at this time. Their defences are down and they're sensitive when they're molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by