Moulting

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by P-Funk, May 6, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I was worried about my Barred Rock and Rhode Island until I met the neighbors chickens yesterday. Among many other birds he has ducks and goats. Both his BR and RIR are are losing feathers in the exact same place (lower back). I feel much better now.
    [​IMG]
    I was afraid to move the 6 week olds into the barn untill now. At least nobody is sick.
    [​IMG]
    Saving the rest of the Blu-Kote for an actual emergency now.

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Good thing they're okay!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry, but I disagree. That doesn't look like molting to me. I have several hens molting right now, their third adult molt. They are losing feathers in the usual pattern, from the head back.

In those pictures, it looks much more like rooster damage or pecking.

4. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    Quote:That's what I was thinking O-o... I just wasn't sure. P-Funk, you could order some of those hen covers.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd be looking for a pecking/feather pulling issue. Could be over crowding, low protein level in the feed or just plain bickering.

The other option I'd be looking at is bugs - lice and/or mites. Since the neighbor has birds looking like that, and you all visit, you both may well be transferring bugs back and forth.

Definitely not moulting issues. Possibly a clumsy rooster problem, but that's usually farther forward.

6. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Well, I sprayed both 'damaged' girls with poultry protecter. There are no signs of bugs, nor do I have a rooster. I have caught them picking at their bald spots, hence the Blu-Kote. I spent an entire day disassembling, bleaching, pressure washing, and re-assembling the coop. If there were bugs wouldn't all 4 girls have it? The 6 week olds all look fine, but they're still in the laundry room.

7. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    Wai- they're pecking at the bald spots? Yeah, as I said, you might want to get a hen aprin... or whatever they called it, that will prevent plucking/pecking at the spots, and if that is the problem, let the feathers grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by